The first motor bikes date back to the pioneering motorcycle at the time called Bicycles motor, but knew a great spread and popularity throughout Europe after World War II, in order to meet the needs of locomotion popular, imposed by feverish reconstruction, compensating for the lack of financial resources and raw materials, greatly reduced by the war.
The need to provide the means of locomotion staff of simple manufacture, particularly economical in the use and content purchase prices, many companies oriented towards the construction of small auxiliary engines, equipped with a roller transmission, to be applied to normal bicycles. These engines were sold in bulk or already applied to the bicycle.
In an effort to offer a product still economic, some houses realized of bicimotore frame with slightly stiffened and especially shaped to accommodate conveniently the engine and the fuel tank, always maintaining, for each occurrence, the possibility of being actuated by means of the pedals.
From 1946 to the early sixties, the bicimotore represented the link between the business cycle and scooter, only to be quickly replaced by moped, which is still the natural evolution of technology, or from utility.
Many motorcycle manufacturers realized that this type of vehicle, but the most successful models, manufactured under license in several European countries, were the French and the Italians Velosolex "puppy", "Mosquito" and "Eaglet".
The very low price (473 francs in 1960, twice the price of an ordinary bike), reliability, ease of maintenance, etc.., Allowed a huge spread of these models.
The small two-stroke engine, with crankshaft asymmetrical, 49 cm ³ of a cylinder, is positioned above the front wheel, which moves directly through a small cylindrical roller which acts on the tire. Start by pedal or push.
Consumption was 1.5 liters of fuel per hundred kilometers.
POSDAM (Turin)1926-30 Bicycle Engine 150 cc, four-stroke engine with valve opposite, built in 1926 by brothers Possio of Turin. The model replaces another 125 cc, which continues to be sold for a certain period. In 1929, production is only a 175 with a valve opposed, while the belt is replaced by a chain.
BIANCHI 1885-64Formerly known bicycle manufacturer, Edoardo Bianchi built a motor bike with automatic intake valves. At the time of the First World War, the Whites, with its single and twin-cylinder motorcycle, was the most important Italian house. In 1925 appeared the new race bike in a cylinder 348 cc overhead cam head and road models in one-and two-cylinder V-side valve from 171 to 498 cc. After World War II built two four-stroke 125 to 250 cc. Some twins running from 248 to 482 cc survived until 1960. Bianchi also produced scooters and mopeds. Motorcycle production ended in 1967.
LADETTO & BLATTO 1927-32Company among the brothers Emilio and John Ladetto and great designer Angelo Blatto. In addition to designing machinery for other houses, produced motorcycles with engine two-and four-stroke 132 to 247 cc. In 1930 Blatto left, and production continued under the name Ladetto. In 1932 appeared the first rear suspension, but production ended that year. Two-stroke engine of 125 cc, with a change in block two-speed, no clutch, built in 1926 by the brothers Emilio and John Ladetto in Turin. In 1927, was presented at the Turin Motor Show the production Ladetto & Blatto, which includes three engines, a 175 cc two-stroke motor bike, a valve in the head and block darkened exchange rate, a 132 cc two-stroke exchange darkened speed, a 175 cc two-stroke with the same characteristics. At the end of 1927, has also built a 250 cc side-valve engine and three-speed gearbox. In 1928, are also presented models of pickup trucks 175 and 250 cc. In 1929 he also built a 175 cc side valve. In 1930, Blatto withdraws from the Company and the continuous production by the name of Ladetto: the first motorcycle with the new brand is a 175 cc overhead valve engine and three-speed transmission Albion. In 1932, it created a lightweight motorcycle with elastic frame. The rear swingarm is controlled via a telescopic shock absorber fitted with coil springs. The engine is a 175 cc overhead valve and three-speed gearbox.
The Goldfinch.The Goldfinch (Cardellino)is a motorcycle built by Moto Guzzi from 1954 to 1965.
The bike was born as an evolution of the previous Guzzino, in the catalog successfully since 1946. The biggest difference compared to the previous "65" On the chassis, modified by the insertion of two metal straps to support the rear fender. The rear suspension also benefited from two shock absorbers compass. Other modifications concerned tires (20 "instead of 26"), the luggage rack (on the rear fender instead of on the tank) and the carburetor (always Dell'Orto, but with diffuser 14 mm).
The changes made the lightweight motorcycle Guzzi about 10 kg heavier than the previous model, but also 5 km / h faster. The price at launch was 99,000 pounds, low compared to 107,000 last series of "Guzzino".
In 1956, the Goldfinch was updated with a new telescopic fork, a tank of increased capacity, new fenders wrap around and drum brakes central light alloy instead of the sides.
Italian factories of motorcycles no longer active.Accossato: 1976-1990