Beacon Hill is the common name for the area that encompasses the ridgeline North of the Spokane River, and east of Market St. This area is a mix of properties that includes Camp Sekani, a city park; Shields Park, Minnehaha climbing area, Avista property, and private property.Camp Sekani is the property on the N side of Upriver drive; where the downhill course and the lower XC trails are.
The Fat Tire Trail Riders Club have permission to work on the trails and build technical features in the Camp Sekani area only. Any other trail building, stunt building or dirt jump building is not authorized or considered legal. If you'd like to be part of legal building in the area, we'd love to have you on board. Building parties will be announced via the Yahoo Group and the calendar.
FTTRC is really fortunate to have "adopted" Camp Sekani as part of the City's Adopt-a-Park program. We have a great relationship with the Park Dept, and they appreciate and are grateful for our interest in maintaining and improving the Camp Sekani property for mountain biking. Our meetings with the City Park folk have been incredibly positive: they welcome mountain bikers and are very willing to work with the club to develop Camp Sekani for both XC and FR/DH riding.
This pages could be better so please add your images and individual trail information if you got it
Short POV video of various trails on Beacon.
Beacon 4-18 from K. Funke on Vimeo.
* Esmerelda Golf Course: park in the upper lot. The trail leaves from the SW corner of the lot. Head up the fire road and look for singletrack heading off to the left after about 50 yards. It's 1.69 miles to the top: stay on the single track where ever it crosses old jeep roads. From the top, there are an assortment of singletrack and jeep road trails that follow the ridgeline to the east. No Trespassing signs apply to motor vehicles, not bikers. The land owner is OK with bikers riding up there.
* Boulder Beach- park at the Boulder Beach pull out, on Upriver Driver, 1.25 miles w. of Argonne Road. Cross the road carefully and take your pick of the trails. For DH, head west and look for the fireroad that you can walk your bike up. For XC, head east and then look for trails heading to the left as you get close to the end of the property.
* Camp Sekani - This entrance is on the N. side of Upriver Drive, just W. of Boulder Beach
* Minnehaha Climbing Rocks (Shields Park)
Red Tape* Everyone is invited to be part of LEGAL trail work efforts at Camp Sekani. Unauthorized trail building threatens our efforts and jeopordizes the area to mountain bikers.
* If it's really muddy on the Esmerelda trail, please consider whether you really need to ride it. Riding the trail in sloppy conditions widens the trail.
* Motorized vehicles are NOT allowed on any of the properties up there.